- IFS is seeking a full-time, resident Executive Director who will be based in its Charlottesville, Virginia, office. Tweet This
- Celebrating our fifth anniversary this year, IFS is dedicated to strengthening marriage, family life, and the well-being of children through research and public education. Tweet This
The Institute for Family Studies (IFS) is an independent, non-partisan, non-sectarian, 501(c)3 organization dedicated to strengthening marriage, family life, and the well-being of children through research and public education. Celebrating its fifth anniversary this year, IFS pursues its mission through:
- Annual reports on family topics in the United States and across the globe
- Conducting original research on marriage, child well-being, and family life
- The Family Studies blog, featuring engaging and incisive articles on family life
- Public education via press coverage, opinion articles, videos, research briefs, and conferences
- Informing and counseling policymakers and civic leaders about contemporary research on family life and its potential implications
To help us further these goals, IFS is seeking a full-time, resident Executive Director who will be based in its Charlottesville, Virginia, office and be responsible for managing at least three other staff members and reporting to the IFS board of directors.
Building on the strong foundation laid by IFS’ previous incumbent, the Executive Director will be responsible for executing the following priorities set by the IFS board:
- Aggressive growth in public dissemination efforts online and in schools
- At least doubling IFS’ fundraising to support an expanded program and to build a capital reserve
- Building a community of funders, policymakers, educators, and civic leaders interested in the work of IFS
- Inaugurating an annual IFS conference on family issues
- Building a larger network of faculty members to be involved in our work.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of IFS
- A graduate degree
- At least seven years of full-time, professional experience, with at least two full years in a supervisory role
- An independently verifiable record of success in major gift solicitation and project management
- Experience in grant writing
- A mature understanding of the intellectual arguments IFS makes in support of strong and stable families
- Commitment to the scholarly, non-partisan, and non-sectarian tone of IFS
- Ability to represent IFS effectively to a range of constituencies, including donors, faculty, policymakers, and the national media
- Ability to travel for conferences and donor events
- A willingness to commit to this position for no less than five years
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Download the complete description of this position here.
How to Apply (please note the new contact email below)
Interested candidates should email—as a single PDF—their resume, references, and two brief writing samples, along with a letter of interest, to email@example.com. The subject line should read “IFS Executive Director application of [YOUR NAME].” We will accept applications from July 19, 2018, until this position is filled.
We expect many qualified applicants for this position. In your emailed letter, please explain why you are the right person to lead IFS. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not call.